Monday, May 18, 2009

USBF Trials for Turkey - Sunday

We're in! The trials are over, and it was very close for us. We were leading the event for 3 rounds, then we played Bryan Delfs and Andre Asbury... We had several bad boards against them, and then we played Kevin Fay and Jason Chiu the last 2 rounds (it was a swiss movement with playbacks). The first round against them went OK, then the second round, almost nothing went our way. One of our last 4 boards was dreadfully interesting:

♠AQ9532
♥T
♦3
♣AJ965
♠
♥AKJ75
♦KQ97652
♣7

WestNorthEastSouth
 p1♦p
1♠p2♥p
3♣p3♦p
3♠p4♦p
4♠ppX
ppp

I'm not too happy to admit to being either one of the people in this auction, however I am guilty as West. I should have probably bid 2S instead of 3C, and looking back on this... 4S was absolutely awful. Kevin couldn't help doubling, and this was a quick Zero when we were -2.

The next one Jason declared well and the 3rd one I misplayed in 1NT... We needed a top on the last board to qualify. We had the opportunity:

 
♠AK86
♥532
♦KJ42
♣53
♠QJT73
♥QT84
♦7
♣J62
♠2
♥AK96
♦QT653
♣KQ8
♠954
♥J7
♦A98
♣AT974

WestNorthEastSouth
p1♦1♥p
2♥ppX
ppp

2H Doubled made with an overtrick, which was enough to make us Qualify to go to Turkey!! I was not so worried about the trials itself, I was way more worried about the form of scoring. Having to play Matchpoints was tough for me, since my system and everything about how I play is so tailored towards IMPs. The qualifiers are in bold below:

  1. Justin Lall-Jeremy Fournier 171.76
  2. Matt Meckstroth-Kevin Dwyer 168.66
  3. Kevin Fay-Jason Chiu 156.39
  4. Alex Hudson-John Marriott 155.93
  5. Owen Lien-Zach Brescoll 155.56
  6. Adam Kaplan-Cameron Shunta 148.98
  7. Michael Lieberman-Alevtina Asarina 148.14
  8. Andre Asbury-Bryan Delfs 147.73
  9. Dan Wolkowitz-Peter Zoogman 146.16
  10. Robert Glickman-Sam Katz 145.46
  11. Monica Guo-Argenta Price
  12. Brad Haas-Blake Haas 129.68

For the hands in detail:


Session 1:
http://www.homebaseclub.com/hands/83-124249.html
Session 2:
http://www.homebaseclub.com/hands/1332-124251.html
Session 3:
http://www.homebaseclub.com/hands/1532-124258.html




No comments:

Post a Comment